Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Wisconsin Car Insurance Quotes

Farm in Wisconsin
Wisconsin, known as the "badger state," is famous for its production of cheese and other dairy products. It is home to the historic Green Bay Packers NFL team, which is the only American football team owned entirely by the public. Motorcycle enthusiasts will recognize Wisconsin as the home of the Harley Davidson factory.

If you plan to relocate to Wisconsin, there is no reason to pay too much for your car insurance. You can take advantage of online quotes from several Wisconsin insurance companies to make sure that your rates are affordable and competitive. It can be difficult to find the right insurance when you are unfamiliar with the state. A little time online will help you feel more confident as you make your insurance choices.

Current Wisconsin residents can also benefit from checking car insurance quotes regularly. Insurance rates can change for many reasons. As you get older, change cars, move to a new residence, or make improvements to your car you will become eligible for different insurance discounts and rate programs. Even if you are completely satisfied with the service you receive from your insurance company, it is in your best interest to be well informed about the insurance rates you should be paying.

Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Wisconsin

- Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
  • $1,000 for medical expenses

Optional Car Insurance in Wisconsin

- Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • $50,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $100,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

How much will your car insurance cost in Wisconsin? Enter your zip code in the form to find out more.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Moving to Wisconsin? All You Need to Know About Transferring a Driver's License and Registration

New Wisconsin residents must transfer their out of state driver's license and vehicle registration within the first 60 days of established residency in the state. You are considered a resident if your primary home is within the state, you pay income taxes from Wisconsin, or you are registered to vote in Wisconsin.

Necessary Driver's License Documentation

Anyone seeking a Wisconsin driver's license must be at least 16 years old. You will need to present proof of residency as well as proof of identification when you apply for a new Wisconsin license. You must also surrender your valid out of state driver's license when you receive your new Wisconsin license.

Acceptable forms of identification include an official copy of a birth certificate, or certificate of citizenship. Your valid out of state license can be used in addition to a birth certificate to prove identity. Wisconsin residency can be proven by presenting a utility bill, paycheck stub, or photo ID card from a Wisconsin employer.

Foreign License Transfers

Anyone visiting Wisconsin who holds a valid foreign driver's license will be allowed to drive in the state without a license transfer for up to one year. Foreign students are also allowed to drive with a foreign license for a period of up to one year. After the first year, any Wisconsin resident is required to obtain a Wisconsin license. It is suggested that foreign drivers carry an International Drivers Permit from their home country, as well as their valid foreign license.

Suspended or Revoked Out of State Licenses

If your driver's license has been suspended or revoked in another state, you must contact that state and clear the suspension before you will be allowed to apply for a Wisconsin driver's license.

Those who have been convicted of driving while intoxicated may be required to present proof of completion of a treatment program, even if the state in which the conviction occurred has been completely satisfied. Your Wisconsin driver's license can be revoked if you lie on your application or neglect to inform the state of a prior driving under intoxication conviction in another state.

Testing Procedures

If your out of state driver's license has not expired, or has been expired for less than one year, you will be able to receive a Wisconsin license with a simple vision test. If your license has been expired for 8 years or more, you will be required to take a written driver's test as well as a practical driver's test in order to receive a Wisconsin license. You will receive a probationary 2-year driver's license if your out of state license has been expired for 6 months or more, if you are under the age of 21, or if you have less than 3 years of driving experience.

Finding a Vehicle Registration Transfer Service Location

The Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles has several offices throughout the state. They have also affiliated with other agencies in order to provide a wider range of offices for customers who need to take care of vehicle registration needs.

Service fees can vary depending on the location you choose for your registration transfer, so it is a good idea to call ahead to find out how much you will be charged at each location. Many DMV locations offer driver's license and vehicle registration services, which makes it easy to get everything done at once.

Temporary License Plates

If you are new to Wisconsin, you will be issued a temporary license plate to display on your vehicle until your metal plates are delivered. The temporary plate is valid for 90 days from the day it is issued. You must complete all of the registration requirements and pay all necessary fees before you will be issued a temporary plate.

The metal plate will be mailed directly to your home as soon as it is prepared. Some locations can only issue temporary plates. A comprehensive listing of temporary plate offices can be found at the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website:

Required Documents for a Title Transfer

You will need to present a valid title that displays your name as the owner of the vehicle in order to receive a Wisconsin title. You will also need to present a registration card from your previous state of residence. If you do not have a title, you can still register your car in Wisconsin but you cannot sell it.

Aside from the title and registration card, you will need to provide the Wisconsin DMV with proof of your identity, proof of residency, and a completed Wisconsin registration application form. Acceptable identification and residency documents are the same for vehicle registration as they were for driver's license transfers.

Register by Mail

Wisconsin makes it easy for you to transfer your vehicle registration through the standard mail if you prefer. You can print of the application form from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website, fill it out, and mail it to the department of transportation directly. You must include the current title and registration for your vehicle with the application, as well as the appropriate registration fees. Checks or money orders should be made out to Registration Fee Trust in order to be processed properly.

Registration Fees

DMV locations can only accept cash or checks for fee transactions. You can use a credit card if you choose to complete your transaction online. The fees for vehicle registration vary depending on where you register the vehicle and what type of vehicle it is. A standard fee of $69.50 will apply for any new titles issued or titles transferred. DMV offices charge an additional $5.00 counter fee.

Service fees cannot exceed $10.00 for any transaction. Some Wisconsin cities charge an additional $10 to $20 wheel tax for cars and light trucks. Uninsured motorists must pay a $50.00 fee to register their vehicles.

Wisconsin is not as harsh on the drivers as other states in USA. Here you may get your car registered even if you do not own insurance. Your license is not revoked and your car is not seized. Even though Wisconsin does not mandate car insurance, you should still get auto insurance or you could end up paying tens of thousands of dollars out of your own pocket if you were to get in a serious accident.

That is when a statutory payment requires to be paid either by you or your insurer. The stated amounts of insurance coverage are $25,000 for bodily injuries, $50,000 for deaths and $10,000 for damage to property. In case you are not able to pay, your license and car plates would be revoked. And there would be an added expense which is considerable, you would be forced to pay for SR-22 coverage!

Many insurance companies give you the choice paying all upfront, or in monthly installments. If you can afford, you can save money by paying it all upfront. Make sure to do your homework on your insurance quotes and ensure you're getting the proper coverage level for the type of vehicle you drive. You may employ a licensed broker who takes money from both ends. It gets the insurance company a client and you a genuine insurer. With premiums growing in amount every year, it is better to get insurance fast.

You may also use online options for insurance. Therein you pay with credit cards and no default is entertained. But benefit options are greater on the net than in direct dealings with shops.

You should also take precautions which otherwise may be detrimental to you coverage possibility. Drinking and driving, driving at a minor age or driving without license does not get you brownie points either with traffic police or insurers. People with clean records are also in a position to negotiate with insurers.

Car Insurance in Wisconsin

Madison Car Insurance
La Crosse Car Insurance
Kenosha Car Insurance
Green Bay Car Insurance
Fond Du Lac Car Insurance
Sheboygan Car Insurance
Racine Car Insurance
Oshkosh Car Insurance
Milwaukee Car Insurance
Janesville Car Insurance