Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Washington Car Insurance Quotes

Mt. Rainier, Washington
Located in the upper northwest corner of the United States, Washington is the "Evergreen State" because of its dense evergreen forests. The large Olympic Mountain range runs along the western edge of the state and causes the coastal cities to receive heavy rainfall throughout the year. Seattle is the most populated city in the state, and visitors remember it for the uniquely shaped Space Needle and for being the birthplace of the American coffee-shop culture.

If you are planning to move to Washington, you should look into your car insurance options before you relocate. Just because you are not familiar with Washington car insurance regulations does not mean you should have to settle for a higher insurance rate. Using online car insurance quotes can help you compare rates between several different companies that serve Washington.

People who already live in Washington can benefit from comparing car insurance quotes as well. Many of the factors that cause your insurance rates to change happen over time. Your premiums could change because you are older or because you purchased a home. Even if you are pleased with the service you receive from your current insurance company, you can benefit from doing a little research into the average rates you could be paying in your area.

Car Insurance Requirements in Washington

- Bodily Injury Minimum

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for two or more people injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Minimum Coverage

  • $10,000 for damage to the property of others in any one accident

Optional Car Insurance in Washington

Uninsured Motorist (UM)/Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • Must match or exceed required bodily injury coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

  • $10,000 in medical expenses
  • $2,000 for funeral expenses
  • $10,000 for income continuation, subject to a limit of $200 per week
  • $5,000 for loss of services, subject to a limit of $200 per week per insured
How much will you pay for car insurance in Washington? Enter your zip code into the form on this page to find out.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Transferring a Driver's License and Vehicle Registration in Washington

The State of Washington has worked hard to make it easier for new residents to transfer their out-of-state driver's licenses and register their out-of-state vehicles. Existing residents can take many of the required steps through the mail and skip the lines at the licensing offices. Drivers must complete the licenses and vehicle registration transfers within 30 days of establishing residency in the state. If you wait longer than 30 days, you will face extra fines when you do finally make your transfers. Once you have completed the registration and transfer process, you can sign up to receive reminder emails that will let you know when it is time for your next license or tag renewal.

Establishing Residency for a Driver's License Transfer

The first step toward transferring a driver's license is to prove that you have established residency in Washington State. You will be considered a legal resident if you own a home in Washington that is your primary residence, you are registered to vote in a Washington precinct, you have sought in-state tuition fees for local colleges, you receive any state benefits, or you apply for any state license. Residency documentation can include a utility bill at your Washington residence or a pay stub from a company that operates in Washington. Officer may accept other identification documents for proof of residency as well.

What to Have Ready for the Driver Licensing Offices

When you visit the driver's licensing office, you will need to have specific documentation prepared. Be sure to bring your valid out-of-state license. Be prepared to provide your social security number. The office will not need to see your social security card, but they will check your number through their system. You will also need to complete a standard driver's license application form. Driver's license transfer fees in Washington cost a total of $45. Payment must be made at the time of application and can be in the form of cash or a personal check.

What Type of Testing to Expect

Everyone issued a Washington driver's license must pass a simple vision test. Color recognition is included as part of the vision test. If you possess a driver's license that is valid from another state, the clerk will not make you take a knowledge test or a driving test unless you suffer from physical limitations that require those tests. Washington does require written or practical driving tests for people who suffer from certain medical conditions in order to ensure the individual can operate a vehicle safely.

Receiving a Temporary Washington License

Once you have completed all of the applications and tests and have paid for your new license, you will be given a temporary Washington license to carry until your permanent license is available. The licensing office will mail your permanent card to your home address within ten business days. Your temporary license allows you to drive legally for 45 days. If you do not receive your permanent license after 30 days, contact the licensing office by phone or in person to find out why there is a delay. If you allow your temporary card to expire and you have not received your permanent card you will be considered unlicensed.

Register a Vehicle by Mail or in Person

Vehicle registration transfers can be done at the same licensing offices where you transfer your driver's license. You may also choose to submit an application through the mail. You are not required to make the registration transfer in person if you prefer to do it remotely. If you register by mail, you will still need to submit all of the applicable documentation. It is a good idea to begin the process before you move to Washington or as soon as you arrive in the state since you only have 30 days to complete the transfer. Working through the mail can take time, especially if there are any problems with your paperwork.

Special Vehicle Requirements

Washington has special requirements for vehicles that are registered within the state. Any car or light truck manufactured in or after 2009 must pass California emissions standards to be registered in Washington. Vehicles ten years old or newer need to have current odometer disclosure statements. You must provide the registration office with the weight of your vehicle. If no weight appears on the title, the licensing office can offer suggestions for where to obtain a current vehicle weight reading. Owners of motor homes, recreational vehicles, or trailers will be required to present proof that all sales tax has been paid.

Registration Forms

Before you can register your vehicle, you will need to present certain forms to the licensing office. They will want to have a copy of your current title or a copy of the out-of-state title if you are purchasing the vehicle through a lien. A Vehicle Certification of Ownership form must be completed and turned in at the time of the registration transfer. You can download this form and fill it out before you visit the office to help things go more quickly. All registered owners of the vehicle must sign the form in the presence of the clerk at the licensing office.

Registration Fees Vary

Your fees for transferring a vehicle registration in Washington will vary depending on several different factors. The weight of your vehicle, where you live, and the type of license plates you purchase will cause your fees to fluctuate. Offices in some parts of the state will also charge a processing fee for a completed transfer. The best way to find out what your specific fees will be is to contact a licensing office before you begin your transfer.

Take your time and research the car insurance companies in Washington here on our web site. The department of License (DOL) states in block letters that every registered car owner should have appropriate car insurance. Anyone found (there is rigorous checking at main junctions of the state) has to pay a fine of $450, not a small amount by any means.

Your automobile insurance coverage should cover in minimum $25,000 per death, $50,000 for all deaths and $10,000 for significant property damage. Expenses below $500 dollars are generally not touched by insurance and settled between parties.

The insurance proof is a must and it should have expiry date clearly printed. Expired insurance is not going to help matters. There is scheme and necessity for liability cover too.

Multi-line and multi-car insurance brings good options for the owner but for that, obviously you have to own a large number of cars. Some cars have been left off from insurance trouble. They include antique cars, Govt. vehicles and bikes. They account for pretty less percentage of cars plying in the state.

Washington has plenty of options when it comes to auto insurance companies. In some you get heavy savings, in other; you get facilities like fast ID cards and auto part warranty too. They may even have their agents monitoring main areas and accessible to the insurance client if any accident happens.

Those with a tendency to commit road errors may get their license revoked sooner rather than later. It is good to have a clean record and that is evident in the present condition of your owned car. Too many accidents can casue your auto premium payments to skyrocket.

Car Insurance in Washington

Bellevue Car Insurance
Bellingham Car Insurance
Everett Car Insurance
Federal Way Car Insurance
Kent Car Insurance
Kirkland Car Insurance
Seattle Car Insurance
Tacoma Car Insurance
Vancouver Car Insurance