Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Utah Car Insurance Quotes

Arches National Park
The population of Utah is heavily centered around the urban cities of the state. Large regions of Utah are virtually uninhabited. The most religiously homogeneous state in America, more than half of the residents are members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, which is headquartered in Salt Lake City.

When you are planning a move to Utah, it is a good idea to look into the cost of car insurance before you go. Online insurance quotes can take the mystery out of finding the right insurance policy, even if you have never been to Utah before. Check quotes from different car insurance companies to make sure you pay competitive rates for coverage.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage in Utah

- Split Limit Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
  • $15,000 property damage coverage for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

- Single Limit Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $65,000 per accident for all damages

- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

  • $3,000 for medical expenses
  • $1,500 for funeral expenses
  • $3,000 in compensation for death
  • $250 per week or 85 percent of lost wages for one year
  • $20 a day for one year for expenses related to household services

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) / Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • UM coverage must meet or exceed the required amount of bodily injury coverage required by the state. UIM coverage cannot be less than $10,000 for one person injured in any one accident and $20,000 for two or more persons injured in any one accident.

How much will Utah insurance coverage cost you? Enter your zip code below to find out.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

When you move to the state, you will need to apply for a Utah driver's license, title and registration. Many people move to Utah to enjoy the great outdoors, bringing with them their all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes and boats. Here you will find registration requirements for your car and favorite off-road vehicles.

Driver's License

Utah law places no time limits by which new arrivals must get a Utah license, but the state does require drivers to switch upon establishing residency. New arrivals become residents once they establish a domicile in the state, remain there for more than six months, become employed on a year-round basis or acquire any privileges normally afforded only to Utah residents. Temporary residents such as college students paying out-of-state tuition rates, temporary employees and military assignments are not required to obtain a Utah driver's license.

Utah requires several different types of documentation when you apply for your driver's license. If your current name differs from any of the source documents, be sure to bring the legal documents that show the name change. You must show on document proving your identity, one document as Social Security verification, two documents showing proof of Utah residency and documented evidence of your driving experience.

Documents acceptable as proof of identity include:

- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Certified copy of a birth certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship

Social Security verification documents include:

- Social Security card (signed, not laminated)
- Valid W-2, SSA-1099 or Non SSA-1099
- Pay stub showing name and Social Security Number
- Letter from the Social Security Administration indicating ineligibility to obtain a Social Security number because of their legal/lawful presence status

You must provide two documents as proof of residency.

Acceptable documents include:

- Bank statement, major credit card statement or utility bill from the last 60 days (not including cell phone bills)
- Court documents
- Current mortgage or rental contract
- Property tax notice from the past year
- School transcript from the last 90 days
- Other documents may be acceptable, but only one document printed from the Web

Documents accepted as proof of driving experience include:

- Evidence of completed driver training course
- Evidence of right to drive in another state or country (previous driver's license)

Once you apply, the (Department of Motor Vehicles) DMV office will give you a temporary permit that day. The license will arrive at your home three to six weeks later.

Vehicle Title and Registration

Once you become a resident, you have 60 days to register and title your vehicles in Utah. Cars, trucks and other passenger vehicles must undergo inspection within 60 days before registration, if applicable. Cars with model years less than eight years old will need a safety inspection, but only every other year.

If your car's model year is an even number and the current year is an odd number, you need not inspect. Even-numbered model years are tested on even numbered years and odd-numbered model years are tested on odd numbered years. Older vehicles must undergo inspection every year. However, every vehicle must be inspected for accurate (Vehicle Identification Numbers) VINs.

In the counties Davis, Salt Lake, Utah and Weber, vehicles also need emissions inspections. Cars less than six years old must go through inspection every other year based on the odd/even number system described in the previous paragraph. Cars six years or older, up to the model year 1968, must be inspected every year. Cars model year 1967 or older are exempt. Emissions' testing is available at most vehicle service stations. Special rules apply to diesel engines. Contact the local DMV office for more information.

To title and register your car, bring to the DMV the following documents for each vehicle:

Proof of ownership: In most cases, you can present the title. Other acceptable documents include bill of sale or previous registration in your name. However, titles for leased vehicles or titles with lien holders are not available to you. In such cases, bring a valid Power of Attorney and Utah sales tax number for the company.

Proof of Identify: At least on titled owner must be present in order to title and register the car.

Documents Required Include:

- Most recent registration
- Title
- Utah safety inspection certificate, if required
- Utah emission certificate, if required
- VIN to compare against safety inspection
- At least one person whose name will appear on new title
- Form TC-656, "Application for Utah Title" (available at DMV office)

Insurance Requirements

No-Fault insurance is required for all passenger cars and trucks. Even non-residents must carry Utah insurance if they spend 90 of the past 365 days in the state. Drivers must have proof of insurance available at all times and present proof to any police officer who requests it. The state checks registrations against the insurance database and will take action against you if you fail to insure your car.


Utah motorized boats, sailboats and jet skis are subject to registration only if the model year is 1985 or newer. Owners should bring the current registration plus boat and motor title. For outboard motors newer than 1984 that have greater than 25 horsepower require title.

Off-road Vehicles

All off-highway vehicles and snowmobiles, model year 1988 and newer, must carry registration. Trailers of any age need registration if they weigh more than 750 pounds unladen.

Campers and Aircraft

Both campers and aircraft are exempt from title requirements, but you must register them through the local county assessor's office. Owners must bring the most recent registration and any ownership documents available, such as a bill of sale.


The fee for a motor vehicle certificate of title or a duplicate certificate of title is $6. This fee does not apply for lease vehicles or those with lien holders. Registration fees include $2.50 for driver education ($5 for motorcycles) $1.00 uninsured motor vehicle fee and applicable use taxes. Safety inspections cost $17.00 for cars, small trucks, trailers, buses. Motorcycles are $9. Emission Inspections usually cost about $25. There may also be a small fee for emission programs (usually $1 to $3).

Car Insurance in Utah

Layton Car Insurance
Ogden Car Insurance
Orem Car Insurance
Provo Car Insurance
Salt Lake City Car Insurance
Sandy Car Insurance
St. George Car Insurance
Taylorsville Car Insurance
West Jordan Car Insurance
West Valley City Car Insurance