Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

New York Car Insurance Quotes

Central Park New York
New York is one of the most populous states in the country. It is home to New York City, which is a major hub of international trade and commerce. New York City has been made famous for its entertainment districts, as well as its international business connections. From Wall Street to Broadway to Madison Avenue, New York City draws tourists, business executives and hopeful artists by the hundreds on a daily basis.

It is important for New York residents to understand the car insurance requirements in the state. Car insurance rates may fluctuate over time, so knowing the basics gives you a good starting point for comparing rates regularly. Even if you are completely satisfied with your current insurance company, it is in your best interest to check quotes to make sure you are not overpaying.

Minimum Insurance Requirements in New York

Bodily Injury Minimum Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 because of the death of one person in one accident
  • $50,000 for two or more persons injured in any one accident
  • $100,000 for the deaths of two or more persons in one accident

Property Damage Minimum Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

No Fault Minimum Coverage

  • Up to a Maximum of $50,000 per person for economic loss benefits
  • Work loss of up to $2,000 per month for no more than three years

Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for two or more persons injured in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage in New York

Supplementary Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • Maximum coverage of $250,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $500,000 for two or more persons injured in any one accident

Supplemental Basic Economic Loss Coverage

  • An additional $25,000 of coverage to be used to pay work loss and rehabilitation expenses

What would you pay for car insurance in New York? Enter your zip code to receive quotes and learn more:

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Find Out About Transferring Your Driver's License and Registration to New York

When you move to the state, you have 30 days to transfer an out-of-state registration and driver's license to New York. You can accomplish both tasks at any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in the state. If you are moving to New York City or another large metropolitan area, you should allow plenty of time for the transfers because there are usually long lines at the DMV.

Required Information from License Being Transferred

New York license transfers require that your old license contain specific information. The old license must have a photograph. It also needs to show the date the license was issued from your previous state. If no issue date shows on your old license, you will need to get a letter from your old state that indicates when the license was issued. Licenses that have been suspended or revoked are ineligible for a transfer until the suspension period is lapsed. Your old license must be valid or within 12 months of the expiration date.

License Application Documents and Tests

If you possess a valid out of state driver's license, you can begin the transfer process by completing an MV-44 transfer application. Once the application is complete, you will need to take an eye exam. You can present an MV-619 eye exam report that is less than 6 months old and signed by a licensed eye doctor if you would rather not take the eye exam at the DMV. The DMV will take your out of state license and a copy of your social security card for identification purposes.

International License Transfers

Since New York shares a border with Canada, the state processes quite a few international drivers' license transfers. You only need to transfer your international license if you are going to become a legal resident of New York. If you are only visiting, it is best to maintain the license issued by your home country. New York recognizes valid out of country licenses. International drivers who become New York residents must pass a written test, a 5-hour driving course and a road test to qualify for a New York driver's license. Once you receive a New York license, you must surrender your international license.

Necessary Documentation for Registration Transfers

The DMV requires a valid title for your out-of-state vehicle that displays the purchase date and your name. If you do not have the title and the car is new, you can present the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, as well as a receipt from the sale. If you bought your car used, you need to present the title given to you by the dealer as well as the receipt that shows your ownership. If your car is under a lien, the lien holder must provide you with a certified copy of the title so that you can transfer registration.

Vehicles with Multiple Owners

You can register a vehicle if more than one individual owns it. If there are multiple owners, each owner listed on the title must provide a separate application for registration. Each owner must also provide appropriate identification documentation, including date of birth. Joint owners are also required to complete an MV-83T form stating partnership or joint ownership of the vehicle. There are also documents to fill out if you would like to add an owner to the title or remove an owner from the title. The title must reflect accurate ownership in order to be registered.

Applying for Registration While Out of State

It is possible to transfer your vehicle registration while you are not physically in New York. The DMV will complete the registration process by mail as long as you provide them with the appropriate paperwork. It does require that you send your original title and bill of sale through the US mail, which can sometimes result in losing those documents. You must also mail a valid proof of insurance from a New York car insurance agency. If you need to register a vehicle from another country, the vehicle must be in the United States before you can register it.

Registering a Leased Vehicle

Leased vehicles require different information for registration transfer than other types of vehicles. To register a vehicle that you are leasing, you must provide the DMV with proof of valid New York liability insurance. You also need to provide proof of taxes you have paid as well as your date of birth and identity. In most cases, the leasing company will provide the DMV with the necessary proof of purchase for registration. If not, you need to obtain a copy of the title and proof of your authority to register the vehicle.

Registration Fees

New York vehicle registration fees apply based on the vehicle's weight. First-time registration transfers include the registration fees, as well as a vehicle plate tax or transfer tax, sales tax, title certificate fee, and some counties include a vehicle use tax. Any vehicle that has six cylinders or uses an electric engine must pay a minimum 2-year fee of $32.50. All registration fees apply for a 2-year period. An additional registration fee of 3.25% applies for diesel powered commercial trucks that weigh more than 8,501 pounds.

Car Insurance in New York

Albany Car Insurance
Buffalo Car Insurance
New York City Car Insurance
New Rochelle Car Insurance
Mount Vernon Car Insurance
Schenectady Car Insurance
Rochester Car Insurance
Syracuse Car Insurance
Utica Car Insurance
Yonkers Car Insurance