Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

New Jersey Car Insurance Quotes

Rural New Jersey Farm
Known as the "Garden State," New Jersey is the most densely populated state in America. Its position between New York and Pennsylvania has made it an ideal suburb for people who work in the big cities. New Jersey has always had a unique personality, and the state has recently gained new popularity as the backdrop for reality television shows like "Jersey Shore."

Car insurance requirements in New Jersey are somewhat complicated compared to other states. New Jersey's dense population and high traffic volume has led to a more convoluted set of insurance requirements and options for residents. People who have lived in the state for a while are probably comfortable with navigating the required insurance and the optional insurance, but someone who is new to Jersey could be boggled at first. Comparing quotes from a few different insurance companies can help clarify the insurance requirements and make it easier to find the most affordable option.

Minimum Insurance Requirements in New Jersey

- Bodily Injury

  • $15,000 per person injured in an accident
  • $30,000 for everyone injured in an accident

- Property Damage

  • $5,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in an accident

- Uninsured Motorist (UM)

  • $5,000 minimum

Optional Coverage

- Basic Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

  • $15,000 to $250,000 per person for medical treatment of permanent or significant injuries
  • $5,000 property damage limit
  • $10,000 per person bodily injury coverage

- Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • $250,000 per person injured in an accident
  • $500,000 for everyone injured in an accident
  • $100,000 property damage

- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

  • $250,000 maximum for medical expenses
  • $100 weekly payout up to $5,200 for lost income
  • $12 daily payout up to $4,380 for essential services
  • $1,000 funeral benefits

- Tort Limitation Option

  • Reduces premiums and only allows the insured to sue in the case of bodily injury that results in permanent disfigurement or death.

Enter your zip code in the form on this page to compare insurance rates for New Jersey:

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Transferring a Driver's License and Registration From Out of State

When you move to the state, you will have a 60-day grace period to change your driver's license and transfer your vehicle registration to New Jersey. After the first 60 days of residence, you could receive a traffic citation and you will have to pay higher fees if you haven't made the transfers yet. The only exceptions to this rule are people who are living in New Jersey while they attend school or while they are on active military duty. You must keep your out-of-state driver's license and vehicle registration up to date if you are exempt from having to transfer them to New Jersey. Every vehicle must carry at least the minimum New Jersey car insurance requirements no matter what the driver's residency status is.

Where to Transfer a License or Registration

You can transfer your driver's license to New Jersey and change over your vehicle registration at any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office. There are specific locations for drivers who need to take driving tests or remove suspensions from their licenses. Inspections are not offered at every location, either. It is a good idea to call the MVC before you visit so that you can make sure the office nearest to you offers the services you will need. Offices are open during regular business hours Monday through Friday, with late hours on Tuesdays. The MVC offices are open between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm on Saturdays.

Identification Verification for Driver's License

New Jersey has a 6-point ID verification system to help prevent identity theft and streamline the identification process. It is important to prepare your documents before you visit the MVC. The necessary documents include a primary ID, secondary ID, proof of local address, and verifiable social security number. A primary ID can be a certified birth certificate or a valid passport. Secondary ID's can include a valid driver's license or school ID. Proof of address can be in the form of a utility bill that shows your name and address, a checking account with a local bank, or other documentation from an outside source that displays your name and address.

Graduated Licenses for Under 18

Young drivers must go through a three-tier graduated licensing process before they can receive a basic license. Even if you already have a license in your previous state, you will still have to follow the graduated licensing program once you move to New Jersey. Drivers between the ages of 16 and 18 must receive documented driver training before they can receive a probationary license. The probationary license allows drivers to drive unsupervised with no more than one passenger in the vehicle for a year.

Required Driver's License Tests

If you have a driver's license from your previous state and it has not been expired for more than a year, you will only be required to take a vision test for your New Jersey license. If your license has been expired more than one year, the clerk may ask you to complete a written and physical driving test before issuing you a new license. MVC employees have the right to request a physical or written driving test from anyone if they believe it would be appropriate. You can pick up a driving manual to study for the written test at any MVC office, driving school, or download a copy from the New Jersey MVC website.

Required Ownership Documentation for Registration Transfer

When you apply for a vehicle registration transfer, you need to present proof of ownership through an out-of-state title, your social security card, and proof of New Jersey car insurance. You also need to provide proof of identification. A valid New Jersey driver's license is acceptable proof. If you don't have a license, you will need to go through the 6-point identification process that includes a primary and secondary proof of ID as well as a social security verification and proof of your current local address.

Transferring Registration for a Vehicle with a Lien or Lease

If your vehicle has a lien or is under a lease, you may not have access to the title. You will need to fill out a special application so that the lien-holder will send a copy of the title to the New Jersey MVC so that a new title can be created. If you are leasing your car, you will need to have the leaseholder send the current title to the MVC. The MVC will send your New Jersey title to the lien-holder or leaseholder directly once the transfer is complete.

Vehicle Inspections

All vehicles registered in New Jersey must pass an inspection. You can use any state or private inspection station as long as it has MVC approval. When you go for an inspection, make sure you have your driver's license and proof of New Jersey insurance verification. If your vehicle fails the emissions inspection, you must have it repaired by an emissions repair facility registered through the state. You have a one-month grace period to complete the repairs so that your vehicle can successfully pass the state inspection.

Registering a Foreign Vehicle

The only MVC that can register a foreign vehicle in New Jersey is located in Trenton unless your vehicle was purchased in Canada. Canadian transfers can be done at any MVC location. Foreign vehicles must pass the same inspection as domestic vehicles in order to receive a valid registration in New Jersey. You will be required to pay taxes on your foreign registration based on the age and value of your vehicle. You must obtain a New Jersey title before you can transfer your registration. As with any registration transfer, you must be able to provide valid proof of insurance in order to complete the registration process.

Car Insurance in New Jersey

Camden Car Insurance
Dover Car Insurance
Edison Car Insurance
Elizabeth Car Insurance
Jersey City Car Insurance
Hamilton Car Insurance
Newark Car Insurance
Paterson Car Insurance
Trenton Car Insurance
Woodbridge Car Insurance