Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Nebraska Car Insurance Quotes

Nebraska Farm
Located in the middle of the United States, Nebraska is in the heart of the country's "bread basket." Agriculture and ranching make up a large part of the industry in the state to this day. The state is largely rural, with almost 90% of cities housing less than 3,000 people each. The state's large, open fields are perfect for corn production, which is why the state mascot is the "Cornhusker."

Researching your Nebraska insurance options is important, whether you live in the state or are thinking about moving there. The factors that determine your rate will vary depending on your life situation and changes that can take place throughout the year. Starting a new job, moving to a new house, getting married or just getting older can change how much you pay for car insurance. Even if you are pleased with your current insurance company, know that smart shoppers always check their options. We recommend you look into the rates offered by other insurance companies at least once a year. Ideally, you should check insurance rates every six months. Before you compare car insurance quotes, you should understand the minimum insurance required in your state. The guide below should help.

Minimum Car Insurance Requirements for Nebraska

Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Required Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

To compare competitive car insurance quotes from Nebraska, enter your zip code into the form below:

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Driver's License and Vehicle Registration Transfers in Nebraska

New Nebraska residents must transfer their driver's licenses and vehicle registration within 30 days of becoming a resident. License transfers can be done at any Nebraska Motor Vehicle Office in the state, but vehicle registration transfers must be done in an office within the county in which the vehicle needs to be registered. There are some exemptions from license and registration transfers. If you are in Nebraska as a college student and you intend to leave Nebraska after graduation, you can keep your license and registration from your home state. Military personnel who are on active duty can use their licenses and registrations from their home state since they are not permanent residents of Nebraska. Anyone else who establishes a residence or gains employment in Nebraska must comply with the transfer regulations in order to operate a vehicle in the state - for more information, visit the Nebraska DMV official website.

Necessary Documents for a License Transfer

Before you receive a Nebraska driver's license, you will be required to prove that you are a legal citizen of the United States. You can do that by providing an official copy of your birth certificate as well as an identification card with your photograph. Your out of state license can serve as a photo ID if it has not expired. The DMV will also require that you sign a statement that you are in the United States legally as a resident or immigrant. Proof that you are a Nebraska resident is also required. Any utility bill, paycheck stub, or other official document with your name and current Nebraska address printed on it is acceptable.

Graduated Licensing for Teens

Drivers under the age of 18 will need to comply with the Nebraska graduated licensing requirements. If you are between the ages of 14 and 16, you can receive a school learner's permit that allows you to drive through an accepted driving school. You can acquire a learner's permit if you pass a written test after you turn 15. The learner's permit allows you to drive any time there is a licensed driver 21 years old or older in the car. Drivers between the age of 16 and 18 will receive provisional licenses that allow them to drive alone between the hours of 6:00am and 12:00am. Graduated licensing expires when the driver turns 18.

License Testing

Out of state drivers who have valid driver's licenses from their home states are usually required to pass a vision test before they can receive a Nebraska license. Clerks at the DMV have the authority to request that any applicant pass a written or driving test if they feel it is necessary. The written test is an overview of Nebraska traffic laws. You can pick up a copy of the Nebraska driver's manual at any DMV location, or print one from the Nebraska DMV website.

Avoid Peak Hours at the DMV Offices

DMV offices can become extremely busy during certain parts of the day. To avoid spending more time at the office than you would like to, it is a good idea to schedule your visits around these peak operating hours. The offices are busiest in the late afternoon, during school breaks, and the days before or after holidays. Attempting to do business during these peak hours can sometimes double the amount of time it takes to complete your transfer. Try to schedule your visit in the early morning for the most efficient service.

What To Do If Your Vehicle is Under a Lien

It is necessary to present the vehicle title in order to transfer your registration from out of state. If your vehicle title is with the lienholder, the Nebraska DMV office will need to request that the lienholder forward the title to the Nebraska office so that it can be transferred. You can supply the address and name of your lienholder to the DMV to make the process work more smoothly. Once the transfer is complete, the Nebraska DMV will send a copy of the Nebraska title back to the lienholder.

Vehicle Inspections Required

Any vehicle brought into the state from another state requires inspection by the county sheriff's office. All of the vehicle's working components must be attached to the vehicle properly and in good working order before the vehicle can pass the inspection. It is necessary to present paperwork that proves ownership as part of the inspection process. If your vehicle is under a lien, you will need to present a copy of the title held by the lienholder. Once the vehicle passes inspection, you will receive the certificate you need to present to the DMV as part of your transfer paperwork.

Identification Documents for a Vehicle Registration Transfer

You must prove that you are the owner of the vehicle before you can complete your out of state transfer. The out of state title or bill of sale are necessary. You will also need to prove that you are the person whose name appears on the ownership papers. A photo ID, such as a current driver's license, will be acceptable. Proof of Nebraska residency is required. You can satisfy the requirement by presenting a document from a third party that shows your name and your current Nebraska address. You will also need to complete the application for certificate of title, which you can obtain through your local DMV office or from the Nebraska DMV website.

Estimating Fees Online

Nebraska has made it easier to predict how much you should expect to pay for your title transfer through a simple online form. Once you enter all of the information about your vehicle and your county of residence, the fee estimator will give you an idea of how much you will pay in taxes and fees for your new Nebraska registration. The estimate is not exact, but it provides an estimate.

Car Insurance in Nebraska

Bellevue Car Insurance
Columbus Car Insurance
Fremont Car Insurance
Grand Island Car Insurance
Hastings Car Insurance
Kearney Car Insurance
Lincoln Car Insurance
North Platte Car Insurance
Norfolk Car Insurance
Omaha Car Insurance