Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Minnesota Car Insurance Quotes

Wilderness Lake in Minnesota
Found at the geographical center of the North American continent, Minnesota is home to hundreds of miles of lakeshores. Many people travel to Minnesota to take advantage of the excellent outdoor activities such as fishing and hunting. Since there is snow on the ground during most of the winter, many of Minnesota's entertainment settings are indoors. The state contains an indoor amusement park, as well as the world's largest indoor mall.

If you are planning to move to Minnesota, be ready to transfer your auto insurance to a reliable and affordable insurance company. Make sure you know the state's insurance laws and the procedures for transferring you license and registration. Then compare car insurance quotes to make sure you get the best possible deal.

Required Insurance Coverage in Minnesota

- Minimum Bodily Injury Insurance

  • $30,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $60,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Minimum Property Damage Insurance

  • $10,000 for injury or destruction of property in an accident

Economic Loss Benefits

  • $20,000 for medical expenses
  • $20,000 for income loss, replacement services, funeral expense, survivor's economic loss, and survivor's replacement services
  • Optional Insurance Coverage in Minnesota

  • Uninsured Motorist (UM)/Underinsured Motorist (UIM)
  • Coverage must offer a minimum of $25,000 per person involved in an accident.
  • To see how much your car insurance will cost in Minnesota, enter your zip code below.

    Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

    Zip Code:

    Deadline for Transferring your Out-of-State License

    If you currently hold a valid driver's license from another state, you have up to 60 days to transfer to a Minnesota license after setting up residency in the state. Owners of commercial driver's licenses must transfer their license within 30 days of establishing residency. Residents employed by the armed forces or the family of someone employed by the armed services do not need to transfer their driver's licenses as long as they hold valid licenses from another state. College students are also exempt from license transfer laws while they are in possession of valid out-of-state licenses.

    Where to Transfer Your Driver's License

    You can transfer out-of-state driver's licenses to Minnesota at any of the driver and vehicle services offices located throughout the state. The offices are open during regular business hours five days a week. Some locations are also available on Saturday mornings. It is a good idea to contact your local driver and vehicle services office to find out the exact hours of operation in your area. Offices are closed on all national holidays, so plan your transfer dates accordingly. If you need to take a driving test as part of your transfer, you will need to visit an office that is designed specifically for managing driving tests.

    Documents You'll Need

    Minnesota requires that out-of-state residents provide a primary and a secondary form of identification to transfer their driver's licenses. The primary identification must show your first, middle and last name, as well as your complete date of birth. Primary documents can be official birth certificates, passports or valid immigration paperwork. Secondary documents can include a driver's license issued from another state, a marriage certificate, a social security card, a student identification card with a photo, or a government identification card with a photo. Temporary residents may be required to provide added immigration documents or receipts.

    Driver's License Tests for Transfers

    If you are in possession of a valid driver's license from another state, you do not need to pass a physical driving test to receive your Minnesota driver's license. You will however, need to pass a written test to prove that you understand the Minnesota traffic rules and regulations. If your license has been expired for more than 1 year, you will have to take the driving test as well as the written test. When you turn in your out-of-state license, the clerk will mark it as invalid and return it to you with a valid Minnesota license. People with dual citizenship can keep their valid out of country driver's licenses, as well as a secure valid Minnesota licenses.


    If your car is displaying current plates, you have up to 60 days to transfer your car registration once you set up Minnesota residency. If your out-of-state license plates expire before 60 days are over, you must transfer them as soon as they expire. If you were required to surrender your license plates in another state, you must apply for Minnesota license plates immediately. Vehicles must carry valid, unexpired plates at all times when driven within the state.

    Registration Transfer Locations

    Nearly 200 deputy registrar locations throughout Minnesota can help you transfer your car registration. Current Minnesota residents can apply for a car registration and title online or through the mail, but new residents must present their transfer documentation in person at the correct deputy registrar location. Many of the registrar offices are located within the department of vehicle services offices where you can transfer your driver's license as well as your registration. Hours of operation are generally during business hours on weekdays with limited weekend service available.

    Needed Registration Documents

    All car owners must present valid proof of insurance before they can begin the registration transfer. Proof of insurance must also be carried in the car at all times in the state of Minnesota. You must also present proof of ownership through a valid title or registration for the car. You cannot receive a Minnesota license plate until you surrender the current out-of-state title. If the title is held by a lending organization because it is under a lien, you must provide your current registration card from the state where the car was purchased. If you are leasing your vehicle, you must provide a copy of the lease agreement and the Minnesota Tax ID of the leasing company. Once you have surrendered your out-of-state title and provided proof of insurance, you need to complete a registration transfer application. The application is available from any deputy registrar office or online. It is necessary to include the odometer reading on your application.

    Car registration requires the same types of identification and residency documents that you need when you transferred your driver's license. You must present a primary and secondary form of identification, including your full legal name and date of birth. A Minnesota driver's license is a valid primary form of identification.

    Fees for Registration Transfers

    You will pay a state tax on your vehicle when you transfer the registration to Minnesota. Passenger cars fees go by the age and type of vehicle. The minimum tax charged for a passenger car is $35 if the vehicle is 10 years old or older. Newer vehicles will be more expensive. Since the tax rates vary widely, it is best to contact your local deputy registrar office to find out the tax rate before you visit the office to make the transfer. Passenger cars are any vehicles that can carry 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver.

    If you compare car insurance you can save money on your premiums, it really is as simple as entering your zip code and filling out your driving record and you will get back a free rate quote in no time.

    Car Insurance in Minnesota

    Bloomington Car Insurance
    Brooklyn Park Car Insurance
    Burnsville Car Insurance
    Coon Rapids Car Insurance
    Duluth Car Insurance
    Eagan Car Insurance
    Minneapolis Car Insurance
    Plymouth Car Insurance
    Rochester Car Insurance
    St Paul Car Insurance