Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Michigan Car Insurance Quotes

Fall Trees in Michigan
The state of Michigan includes coastline from four of the five Great Lakes on the United States border with Canada. In fact, the state is cut into two pieces by Lake Michigan on the west and Lake Huron on the northeast. Michigan is most famous for its largest city, Detroit, which is central for automobile manufacturing and is also called the home of Motown music.

If you are planning to move to Michigan, it is worth your time to look into some online quotes. You'll need to understand the minimum coverage required and the rules for transferring a license and registration. The state of Michigan is undergoing some insurance changes, so be sure to check with the Michigan Department of State, which handles motor vehicle licensing and registration, where information is updated more frequently. This way, you will understand exactly what types of coverage you need. Current Michigan residents can also benefit from checking into this information. Regular quote comparisons are the best way to save money on car insurance.

Car Insurance Requirements in Michigan

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $20,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $40,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Personal Protection Insurance Benefits

  • Medical benefits between $1,750 and $5,000 per person
  • Work loss benefits of 85 percent of wages for 3 years, not to exceed $1,000 per month

Restrictions on Tort Liability

  • No-Fault statute - an injured person cannot sue for pain and suffering unless the injury causes death, serious impairment of bodily function, or permanent, serious disfigurement.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Moving to Michigan

Drivers who become new residents in Michigan must transfer their out of state driver's licenses and vehicle registrations as soon as possible after they take up residence. The original transfers can be done at a Michigan Secretary of State office in your local city. If you don't transfer the license after you gain Michigan citizenship, you could be subject to a graduated fine depending on how long you have driven with your old license or registration.

Documentation for Driver's License

Drivers who are in possession of a valid driver's license from another state or from Canada must bring their out of state license to the Secretary of State office nearest their new home. You will also need to present a social security card with your legal name that matches the name on your driver's license. Photocopies are not acceptable. If you do not have a social security card, you will need to provide a legal statement of ineligibility for the card. You will also need to present proof that you are a United States citizen or in the country legally, as well as proof that you are a Michigan resident. A paycheck stub or utility bill that shows your name and Michigan address works.

Under Age Drivers

New residents under the age of 18 who want to drive in Michigan must conform to the graduated licensing program. Depending on the level of driver's license you held in your home state, you may be required to pass a physical driving test before you can receive a Michigan license. Any suspensions or other legal holds on your driver's license from another state will be honored by Michigan. A parent or guardian, who will need to sign the driver's license application, must accompany minors under the age of 18.

Drivers who are older than 18 and can present a valid driver's license from another state will usually only need to pass a standard vision test before they can receive a Michigan license. Employees at the Secretary of State office have the right to ask any individual to take a driving test if they feel it is appropriate, however. If your out of state license is expired, you will be expected to take the written exam that covers Michigan traffic safety rules and regulations. You will receive a temporary driver's license until your permanent Michigan license arrives in the mail.

Licensing Fees in Michigan

Michigan charges a standard fee of $25 for any original license issued, whether it is an out of state transfer or an individual's first driver's license. You can purchase a duplicate license or have corrections made to your current license for a fee of $9. Renewals cost $15, with a $7 fee assessed to anyone who fails to renew their license within the appropriate amount of time.

No Grace Periods

Michigan does not have a grace period for transferring your driver's license or your vehicle registration. The state expects you to make the transfers immediately upon becoming a Michigan resident. Michigan titles are required for all motor vehicles in order to operate the vehicles on city streets. You are a resident when you establish your main residency in a house, apartment, condominium, or other domestic dwelling in Michigan. College students from out of state and active military personnel are not required to transfer their driver's licenses or vehicle registrations unless they become Michigan residents after they graduate from school or leave the military.

Documents for Registration

Vehicle owners must present their current vehicle title to the clerk at the Secretary of State office nearest your home. The title must list your full legal name and match your identification documents. You will also be required to present documentation that proves that you are a legal resident of the United States and that you are a Michigan resident. A social security card or a current driver's license is acceptable, as will naturalization papers or other documentation that explains that your stay in the United States is legal.

When there is More Than One Owner on the Title

If the title displays more than one owner's name, all of the listed owners must be present at the Secretary of State office for the registration transfer. If your vehicle is under a lien and the lending institution holds the title, you can take your registration paperwork from your previous state to prove your ownership of the vehicle. The registration from your previous state can be recently expired and still qualify in place of the title.

Proof of Insurance

Michigan requires all vehicle owners to present valid proof of insurance through a car insurance company licensed to sell policies in Michigan. Liability insurance is the minimum requirement, and all drivers must carry no-fault insurance policies as well. Out of state insurance policies are not valid in the state of Michigan, and your vehicle registration will be incomplete until you can present a valid proof of insurance from a local insurance company. You are welcome to purchase car insurance coverage that is beyond the Michigan minimums, like theft or comprehensive policies.

Registration and Title Fees in Michigan

Vehicles manufactured between 1984 and the current year will be taxed based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price. The taxes for vehicles manufactured prior to 1984 are determined based on the vehicle's weight. You must purchase a minimum of 12 months of registration regardless of the expiration date of your previous registration. The transfer fee for an out of state vehicle is $8. You will also be charged $15 for your vehicle title. Temporary permits are available in 30 to 60 day increments. The fee for a 30-day temporary permit is $20 plus a $10 service charge. The fee for a 60-day temporary permit is $40 with a $10 service charge. Be sure to check the Michigan Department of State for up to date registration information.

Car Insurance in Michigan

Ann Arbor Car Insurance
Dearborn Car Insurance
Detroit Car Insurance
Flint Car Insurance
Grand Rapids Car Insurance
Lansing Car Insurance
Livonia Car Insurance
Sterling Heights Car Insurance
Warren Car Insurance
Westland Car Insurance