Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Maine Car Insurance Quotes

Lighthouse in Maine
Maine is the most northern state on the eastern seaboard of the United States. The state is known for its excellent seafood, especially clams and lobsters. The Maine landscape is diverse, ranging from tall mountains to bays filled with small islands. The winters are long and snowy, and the summers are short and mild.

If you never compare quotes, you will never know how much money you could be saving. Rates are always changing and new discounts may apply to your situation. If you plan to relocate to Maine, you should become familiar with the insurance laws in the state and the steps needed to transfer your license and plates. The information below will help you do that.

Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Maine

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury/Property Damage Coverage

  • $50,000 per person injured in an accident
  • $100,000 for all persons injured in an accident
  • $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property in an accident

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage for Insured/Operator and Passengers

  • The bodily injury policy must provide coverage equal to or greater than $1,000 per person for injuries.

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage

  • UM is included in underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. The amount of coverage cannot be less than the amount of bodily injury liability purchased without a specific rejection of that amount. If the required amount of UM is rejected, the insured must purchase at least as much UM as the required bodily injury liability coverage for Maine.

If you would like to know how much you might pay for car insurance in Maine, enter your zip code into the form on this page.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Vehicle Registration and License Transfers in Maine

When you move to Maine, you will have 30 days to transfer your driver's license and vehicle registration once you become a resident. The only exemptions are students who maintain a legal residence in another state and military personnel who are on active duty. If you do not transfer your license and registration within the 30-day grace period, you could be subject to a traffic citation and additional fees when you finally make the transfers. You can visit your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch office to complete both transfers at the same time if you prefer. You must pay all applicable fees in full using cash or a personal check before the Bureau will transfer your license.

Maine Registration Program

You might be able to complete your registration transfer at a local municipal office rather than a Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch office. Many municipal offices participate in the Maine registration program, which allows them to complete the necessary paperwork for any vehicle registration. You can contact your municipal office by phone or through e-mail to find out if it is a registration program participant. Sometimes it is faster to register your vehicle through the municipal office rather than standing in line at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Paperwork for Plate Transfer

You must be able to present the vehicle title and proof that you have paid the excise tax before you can transfer an out-of-state registration. If your car carries a lien and the title remains with the lienholder, you will need to give the Bureau proof that you own the car. You can do this by presenting loan or leasing documentation. A valid photo ID is also necessary.

Find out About Your Local Excise Tax

Maine requires that all vehicle owners pay an excise tax on their registered vehicles. The excise tax is a municipal tax, and it changes from location to location. You will need to contact your local municipal office to find out how much you should expect to pay in excise taxes when you register your vehicle with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The Bureau will not permit you to complete the vehicle registration transfer unless you can provide a receipt proving that you paid the required excise tax in full, so you should pay any outstanding excise before visiting.

Proof of Insurance Required

When you turn in your vehicle transfer application, you will need to provide the Bureau with documented proof that your car carries at least the minimum legally required insurance. This documentation can be in the form of a signed binder from your insurance company or a proof of insurance card that shows your legal name and the detailed information about your vehicle. It is important to purchase car insurance in Maine as early as possible after moving, even if you cannot make your registration transfer right away. Maine insurance will cover you if you are involved in an accident, regardless of the registration transfer status.

Getting a Maine Driver's License

To transfer your driver's license from another state, you will need to prove that you are in the United States legally and that you are a legal resident of Maine. You can do this by presenting a certified birth certificate, a passport, naturalization papers, a certificate of citizenship, or other documentation that shows you reside in the United States legally. To prove Maine residency, you can provide a utility bill, a check stub, mortgage or lease paperwork, tax documentation, or other paperwork issued to you through an established organization and shows your legal name and your physical address.

If you have a valid license from another state, you will probably be required to take a vision-screening test before the bureau will issue your Maine license. Bureau of Motor Vehicle employees have the right to require anyone to pass a written or physical driving test if they feel it is appropriate, but this is unusual. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the traffic laws in Maine before you visit the office for your license transfer. You can download a copy of the Maine traffic guide from the official Maine government website, or you can pick up a free booklet from your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

If You're Under 21

Drivers who are less than 21 years old receive provisional licenses that have special restrictions. With the provisional license, you cannot carry passengers who are not family members unless a licensed driver over the age of 20 is in the car with you. You are also restricted from driving between the hours of 12:00 am and 5:00 am. Drivers under the age of 18 are required to complete at least 35 hours of supervised driving. You must carry a restricted license for at least 180 days before you will be eligible to receive an unrestricted license. Provisional licenses expire every two years.

License Fees Differ Depending on Class

If the Bureau requires a written driving test, you will pay a $10 fee. A normal class C driver's license for anyone between the ages of 21 and 65 expires after 6 years and costs $30. Individuals who are 65 or older receive drivers' licenses that expire every 4 years, which cost $21. Commercial licenses cost $34 for those under age 65 and $28 for those over age 65. You must surrender your out of state driver's license in order to receive a Maine license.

Car Insurance in Maine

Auburn Car Insurance
Augusta Car Insurance
Bangor Car Insurance
Bidderford Car Insurance
Portland Car Insurance
Brunswick Car Insurance
Lewiston Car Insurance
Sanford Car Insurance
Scarborough Car Insurance
South Portland Car Insurance