Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Iowa Car Insurance Quotes

Iowa Cornfield
Located in the upper Midwest, Iowa is one of the safest states in the nation for crime. It enjoys a long history of agricultural success, which earned it the nickname "Food Capital of the World." Modern Iowa is diverse, with industries ranging from manufacturing to biotechnology. Iowa's landscape is also diverse, including miles of lake shorelines and areas of steep hills with deep valleys.

Iowa residents can benefit from regular online car insurance quote checks. Like life, car insurance rates change often. By checking in every six months, you give yourself the best chance of taking advantage of the best rates and full spectrum of discounts available.

If you are considering a move to Iowa, online insurance quote comparisons can help you purchase your new insurance policy without overpaying. Getting a great quote, starts with knowing what minimum coverage you must carry. You'll also need to know how to transfer your license and registration.

Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Iowa

Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $20,000 per person injured in any single accident
  • $40,000 for all people injured in any single accident

Property Damage Coverage

  • $15,000 for injury or destruction of property of others in any single accident

Optional Minimum Insurance Coverage

Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • The minimum amount of UM or UIM coverage purchased must be at least the same as the bodily injury liability requirements.

To learn about how much you could pay for a car insurance policy in Iowa, enter your zip code into the form on this page.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Bringing Your Car with you to Iowa

When you move to Iowa from another state, the state grants you a 30-day grace period to transfer your driver's license and vehicle registration. Student and those on active duty with the military only need to transfer a license or registration if they plan to become permanent residents of the state. Anyone who has lived in the state continuously for 30 days qualifies as a resident. Those who have purchased or rented property, held steady employment within the state, or enrolled children in Iowa schools fit the legal definition of resident.

Drivers can transfer their licenses at any Iowa Transportation Department driver's license station. To transfer your vehicle registration, you will need to visit the county treasurer's office for your county of residence. Offices are open during regular business hours, Monday through Friday. Some individual offices may have later evening or Saturday hours. Contact your local office to find out about the best times to make license and registration transfers. The clerk will be able to tell you when the offices are busy and when you will have a better chance of getting in and out quickly.

Documents You Need for a License Transfer

Out-of-state driver's licenses or ID cards are not acceptable as proof of identity. You will need to present original documents or certified copies of a birth certificate, a valid passport, or a military ID card. A secondary form of identity can include your out-of state-license if it has not been expired for more than a year. Most other forms of government-issued identification are acceptable as secondary identification as well. You must present some documentation that proves that you are an Iowa resident, such as a utility bill, voter's registration card, paycheck stub, or other document that shows your full name and your Iowa address.

Special Requirements

Drivers who can present valid out-of-state licenses are required to pass standard vision tests before receiving an Iowa driver's license. If your old license has been expired for more than a year, you may be required to pass a written or physical driving test, as well. The clerk at the driver's license station has the authority to decide whether you should take any form of test before issuing you a new license.

Minors who are transferring driver's licenses from out of state must present all of the documentation that is required, as well as meet the Iowa requirements for licensed minors. The parent or guardian must provide written consent for the minor to receive a license. A minor will receive an intermediate license, which allows him or her to drive during certain hours of the day. Minors may only carry as many passengers as the number of safety belts in the vehicle. Once the minor has turned 17, he or she can receive a full driver's license after completing at least 10 hours of driving instruction and 12 months of accident-free driving.

Driver's License Fees

If you are under 18 or over 70, your driver's license will expire every two years. All other licenses expire after a five-year period. A two-year license costs $16. A five-year license costs $20. Duplicate licenses are available for $1 each. If your license needs replacement because it has been lost or stolen, replacements will cost $3. Broken or damaged driver's licenses will be replaced free of charge.

Registering Your Car in Iowa

To transfer your vehicle registration to Iowa from another state, you must present an original title or other ownership papers to the county treasurer's office. You also need to complete the appropriate application forms. Everyone listed as an owner of the vehicle in the previous state must sign the transfer application. If there is a lien on the vehicle, you need to complete the appropriate section of the application as well. Transfer requests will not be honored unless the owners can present valid proof of Iowa car insurance coverage for the vehicle.

Forms Available Online

All of the necessary application paperwork is available online at the Iowa government website. They are available in PDF format, so you can download them to your computer and print them off on your own. You must complete the forms and sign them manually. The County Treasurer's Office will not accept digital copies of the applications. If you are unsure about any of the information requested in an application, bring the form to the County Treasurer's Office so that you can receive assistance in filling it out completely.

Appropriate Registration Documents

If you are not in possession of the original ownership documentation, you must file a bond with the state in order to receive a title or registration. You will need to provide any written documentation of the sale of the vehicle, including receipts or other handwritten agreements regarding who owns the vehicle. You must also fill out and submit an Application for Registration & Bonded Certificate of Title for a Vehicle.

The department will research the vehicle's ownership and determine the vehicle's value based on the information you submit. You will need to meet with an investigator who will want to look at your vehicle to confirm it fits the description in the paperwork accurately. Once everything is cleared, you will receive an Iowa title and registration for your vehicle. You should start this process as soon as possible when you first move to Iowa if you do not have the vehicle title.

Fees Vary by County

Every county treasurer's office charges a different set of fees for vehicle registration transfers. You need to contact the office in your county to find out how much your particular registration transfer will cost. Most fees are determined based on the size and age of your vehicle.

Car Insurance in Iowa

Ames Car Insurance
Cedar Rapids Insurance
Council Bluffs Car Insurance
Davenport Car Insurance
Des Moines Car Insurance
Dubuque Car Insurance
Iowa City Car Insurance
Sioux City Car Insurance
Waterloo Car Insurance
West Des Moines Car Insurance