Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Indiana Car Insurance Quotes

Downtown Indianapolis at Night
Indiana is probably best known for its connections to famous collegiate sports. The state nickname, "Hoosiers," is also the name of the Indiana University's mascot. The Hoosiers are well known for being passionate about their basketball team. Another sports powerhouse is Notre Dame University, which is located in South Bend, Indiana. The Fighting Irish football team has won several national titles, and the school is well known for its deep traditions.

If you are planning to move to Indiana, you need to be aware of the car insurance requirements in the state. Just because you aren't familiar with the area is no reason to pay more than you should for insurance. A quick online car insurance comparison will give you the ability to choose the best deal for the coverage you will need once you become an Indiana resident.

Current Indiana residents can also benefit from comparing car insurance rates from several different companies. There are so many variables involved in setting a car insurance rate that it makes sense to see how your rates might have changed each year. Everything from your zip code to your age and the accident rates in your neighborhood can change your coverage options. Even if you are satisfied with your current provider, it still makes good financial sense to learn about your rate and coverage options from several companies at least once every year.

Minimum Legal Requirements for Car Insurance in Indiana

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • UM must be purchased in at least the minimum amount of required bodily injury coverage. UIM is purchased must be at least $50,000.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Anyone who moves to the state of Indiana must transfer his or her driver's license and vehicle title within the first 60 days of residency. Both of the transfers can be done at any local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office. You will need to present specific personal identification records and other documents regarding your previous driver's license or ownership of your vehicle.

Who Is Considered a Legal Indiana Resident?

If you're not sure whether you qualify as a legal resident of Indiana, here are a few guidelines. You're a resident and required to transfer your license and registration if your only legal residence is within the state, or if you live in the state for more than 183 consecutive days. You are also a resident if you are registered to vote in the state, or if you have a child enrolled in the Indiana public school system. You do not need to transfer your license or registration if you are living in the state while you attend college or while you are on active military duty. Construction workers who are in the state temporarily to operate special machinery are also exempt.

Necessary Documents for a License Transfer

You must surrender a valid out-of-state driver's license before you can apply for an Indiana license. If you do not have a valid license, or your license has been expired for three years or more, you will have to go through the process of obtaining a license as if you had never been licensed before. Licensed drivers from out-of-state will need to present their driving record or verification letter, as well as proof of identity.

Testing Requirements

Everyone who is 18 years old or older must take a written test and a vision test when they apply for an out-of-state license transfer. Those who do not have a valid license to surrender will be required to take a physical driving test, as well. You can pick up an Indiana traffic laws manual at any Bureau of Motor Vehicles, or download a copy from the Indiana state website. Licensing clerks have the authority to require any driver to take a physical test if they feel it is appropriate.

License Transfers for Those Under age 18

Learner's permits from other states are not valid for driving in Indiana. If you are between the ages of 16 and 18, you must apply for an Indiana learner's permit. If you have held a valid driver's license from your previous state for 180 days or more, you may transfer to an Indiana driver's license if you can successfully complete the written test and the standard vision test. You will also be required to present your driving record from your previous state.

Identification Documents

You must present several types of identification in order to receive an Indiana driver's license or to make a vehicle registration transfer. These identification documents include a social security card, proof of lawful status in the United States, and proof of residency in Indiana. Your valid out-of-state driver's license can serve as a means of photo identification. The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles will issue you a driver's license that meets the Secure ID standards, which means that you will only have to present detailed personal information once. The card's ID security will be recognized throughout Indiana, and it meets federal guidelines for secure methods of personal identification.

Documents Needed for a Title Transfer

Whether you are transferring a new or a used car, there are specific documents you will need to complete. Both types of title transfers require an application for certificate of title, which you can download from the Indiana state website or acquired through a Bureau of Motor Vehicles office. You will also need your out-of-state title or proof of purchase paperwork. The conforming odometer statement must be included with your original title. If the car is new, you will need to present proof of the sales tax you paid for the vehicle. Used car owners must present the bill of sale.

VIN Inspection

An official Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection must be performed on any vehicle brought into the state of Indiana. You can have your vehicle inspected free of charge at any licensing branch. Police officers can also perform the VIN inspection for you, but they sometimes charge as much as $5 for the service. The licensing office or police officer will need to provide you with a completed Indiana Resident's Vehicle Inspection form once you pass the physical inspection. You will not be able to transfer your title until you have this form.

Transferring a Title on a Vehicle under a Lien

If your vehicle is under a lien and you do not have direct access to the out-of-state title, you will need to submit a special form. Any agent at a licensing office can assist you in completing the Request for Out of State Title to Perfect a Lien form. The form will be sent to your lien-holder so that they can be notified that you are requesting an Indiana title. The lien-holder will send a copy of the title to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, at which point you will be contacted so that you can visit the office and complete the transfer process.

Emissions Testing

Vehicles in Lake County and Porter County must pass emissions testing before they can be registered. Emissions testing applies to all vehicles manufactured after 1976 and weigh 9,000 pounds or less. You will have to repeat the emissions test once every two years to maintain your vehicle's title. Cars that have odd numbered license plates are tested in odd numbered years, while even numbered plates are tested in even numbered years. You will need to take your vehicle registration application to the emissions testing site so that they can fill out the appropriate forms for you.

If you stay in Indiana you may be aware of the difficulties one has to face when filing a car accident claim, switch car insurance companies or even if you need to add a person to your existing insurance policy. You may have to follow a few tips in order to overcome these hurdles so that it actually saves a lot of time and money. When thinking of rounding off your car, the insurance company's main aim would simply be to get you a new car from the same market.

Any auto insurance company in Indiana would generally have three methods of computerized vendor quotes, online resources and market research. If the company is simply unable to get you a car from your area they would perform a check from outside your area. This may increase simply increase the cost of your car as the cost of replacing would certainly be more expensive. Getting a car replaced in the city would certain cost you more than getting replaced in rural area.

You can cancel your coverage at anytime, especially when you switch your cars. So the best thing to do while switching cars is to call your insurance company and ask them to cancel your policy. It is also possible for you to add a teen to your car insurance policy, providing that the teen must meet a certain age criteria. So, in Indiana, if a teen has a Driver education learner permit and a regular learner permit your teen can apply for an insurance policy with you.

Age may be important criteria as the teen needs to be at least 15 years old. It would simply allow them to take Indiana state approved driver education course, and on completion they can practice driving under guidance. The second may be for those who need to obtain an official state permit, they need to be 16 years of age.

Fractioning your premium may simply increase the amount of your insurance. The more you break the higher amount to need to pay for your premium. In case of stolen accessories from your car may leave you with filing a claim with the home insurance company, as car insurance would not cover that.

Car Insurance in Indiana

Anderson Car Insurance
Bloomington Car Insurance
Evansville Car Insurance
Fort Wayne Insurance
Gary Car Insurance
Hammond Car Insurance
Indianapolis Car Insurance
Muncie Car Insurance
South Bend Car Insurance
Terre Haute Car Insurance