Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Illinois Car Insurance Quotes

Downtown Chicago Illinois
Many people think of Illinois as the home to some of the most popular sports teams in the nation. There is no doubt that sports fans love the Chicago Bulls, White Sox, Cubs, and Blackhawks. Illinois is also known as the "Land of Lincoln" because Abraham Lincoln was born there. More than 60% of the people who live in Illinois reside in the Chicago area.

Moving to a new state is expensive, but it's also a chance to start over. Bills you may have been paying for years without a second thought can be reduced if you use a little forethought. One big source of savings is your car insurance. Most of us are paying too much on car insurance, and by comparing rates you could save some money. Everyone who owns a car should look into quote comparisons at least once a year to make sure that the premiums they are paying are comparable to the premiums offered by other agencies. First, look at the minimum insurance requirements below, then think about other car insurance you might need.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage in Illinois

- Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $20,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $40,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Insurance Minimums

  • $15,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) / Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • UM coverage must be equal to or exceed the legally required minimums for bodily insurance coverage.

How much will Illinois car insurance cost you? Find out by entering your zip code into the form below.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

New Illinois residents need to know how to register their cars in the state and get an Illinois driver's license. All vehicles on public roads in the state must have valid titles and registrations. New residents are given 30 days to comply with the title and registration laws.

New Illinois vehicle titles must go through the Secretary of State. Illinois does not have a separate Department of Motor Vehicles. Instead, they have Drivers Services facilities administered through the Secretary's office. You can get an application for title and registration by calling 1-(800) 252-8980. You can find the nearest Drivers Services facility at the following website:

Necessary Forms

You will need a VSD 190 form or "Application for Vehicle Transaction" for any plate-related transaction. This can include title and plates, plates alone, sticker only, transferring a title, transferring plates, corrected information on a registration ID card, or getting a duplicate ID card. It can also apply for title transaction without plates, such as title only, duplicate title, junking certificate, corrections to a title or for a salvage certificate.

Take the time to double check that the vehicle information on the title matches the application or you may run into delays. Verify you have all documents to show the title was assigned properly from the seller and that the buyer's name on the application matches the buyer's name in the assignment area. Check that the odometer reading certification is properly completed and that the date of sale is included. Check the vehicle identification number (VIN) inside the vehicle door or on the dash against the title digit by digit.

When you go to the Drivers Services office, bring the following documents with you:

- Application for Vehicle Transaction (VSD 190) - Certificate of title issued by your previous state - For loan vehicles: Certificate of Origin, previous registration, Bill of Sale, plus a photocopy of the loan agreement may be presented instead of title. - Documents providing identity, residency, vehicle odometer reading and vehicle description - Proof of Financial Responsibility

Illinois Financial Responsibility Laws

Illinois vehicles must carry minimum amounts of liability insurance to cover potential property damage and injuries that the vehicle owner may cause to others during an accident. To comply with the law, motorists must carry minimums of $20,000 per person or $40,000 per accident bodily injury coverage and $15,000 property damage coverage.

Drivers are required to carry their insurance cards in the vehicle at all times and to show it to law enforcement officers upon request. These cards are provided by insurance companies at the time policies are issued or renewed.

In addition to officer enforcement, the mandatory insurance laws in Illinois are enforced through random questionnaires and a sampling process. A computer randomly chooses a vehicle and then mails the owner a questionnaire asking for the insurance company name and policy number. The information will be verified with the insurer to show compliance.

Fines for Failure to Carry Insurance

Those who fail to return the sampling form or fail to carry insurance can have their registrations suspended by the Secretary of State. They can also be fined a minimum of $500 for driving an uninsured car or a minimum of $1,000 for driving a car with suspended plates because of a prior insurance lapse. To have the registration reinstated, vehicle owners must present proof of insurance along with a $100 fee to the Secretary of State office. The form and payment can also be mailed to:

Office of the Secretary of State
Mandatory Insurance Division
501 S. 2nd St., Rm. 429
Springfield, Illinois 62756-7000.

Emissions Testing and Inspection Stickers

Illinois does not require safety inspection stickers but there are important rules to follow for emissions testing in the Northeastern Illinois and Metro-East St. Louis areas. Otherwise, your application for registration may be denied. Vehicles more than four years old must be tested for emissions every two years. If a car fails emissions, it must be repaired and then retested. Waivers are available in certain situations where a vehicle cannot pass emissions despite repairs.

Diesel vehicles, electrically powered cars, and some other vehicles do not require emissions testing. To find out if your vehicle is exempt, go to

If your vehicle was titled and registered more than three months before your move to Illinois, it is exempt from Illinois sales tax charges, but you must complete forms RUT-50 or RUT-25 to show the exempt status. For leased and rented vehicles, you must bring the bill of sale and copy of the lease or rental agreement. You will also need certificates of insurance.

Changing to an Illinois Driver's License

New Illinois residents have 90 days before they must switch to an Illinois driver's license, which can also be obtained through a Drivers Services facility. You will be required to undergo vision screening and to turn in your out-of-state license. There is also a written exam and some drivers might be required to pass a driving test as well. The state of Illinois rules of the road can be found at

Proof of identification is required when applying for an Illinois driver's license. Documents must confirm the applicant's full name, social security number, and date of birth. They must also confirm residency in Illinois and include the applicant's written signature.

Payment can be made via cash, check or Discover credit card. A basic driver's license is $30. Discounts are offered for certain age classes and those over 87 years old can get a driver's license at no cost.

Car Insurance in Illinois

Aurora Car Insurance
Chicago Car Insurance
Cicero Car Insurance
Elgin Car Insurance
Joliet Car Insurance
Naperville Insurance
Peoria Car Insurance
Rockford Car Insurance
Springfield Car Insurance
Waukegan Car Insurance