Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Hawaii Car Insurance Quotes

Beach in Hawaii
Hawaii is the 50th state, and it is the only one made entirely of islands. The state is famous for its black sandy beaches and active volcanoes. Hawaii is also famous as one of the best places in the world to surf. The cost of living in Hawaii can be a little higher than most parts of the country because the island relies on imports for many of their consumer goods.

Hawaii residents should research insurance prices every six months to take advantage of the savings they can get from comparing online quotes. Insurance costs can go up or down depending on many life factors. They also change for reasons that have nothing to do with you, such as the losses the insurance company paid for the previous year.

You can make these insurance price fluctuations work for you by checking in every six months and comparing rates. You'll stay on top of any discounts for which you might qualify and get the best price at the same time. Getting a good price starts with knowing the minimum insurance needed in your state:

Car Insurance Minimum Legal Requirements in Hawaii

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $20,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $40,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

-Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • Must equal or exceed minimum bodily injury liability coverage amount

If you would like to know how much you could pay for car insurance in Hawaii, enter your zip code into the field on this page.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Making a License and Registration Transfer in Hawaii

New permanent residents of the state of Hawaii must transfer their driver's license and vehicle registration within 90 days of becoming a resident. The only exceptions to this rule are students who are attending college from out of state, or military personnel who are on active duty.

When and Where to Transfer Your Registration

Hawaii registration transfers can be done in Hilo or in Kona at the Department of Motor Vehicles office. Both offices are open between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm on weekdays, and they close for weekends and federal holidays. Since there are only two offices that serve all of the islands, lines can form quickly. The best way to save time when you need to visit the office is to call ahead and arrange for a visit during a slow part of the day or at an appointed time.

Documents You'll Need

Vehicle owners who want to transfer their vehicle titles from another state will need to complete the Hawaii application for registration form. You can download this form from the Hawaii Department of Motor Vehicles website, or pick up a form at one of the two offices. The owner will need to present the current out of state title, which should include the owner's full legal name. You will need a shipping receipt to prove the date that the vehicle arrived in Hawaii. A form G-27 will be required for all vehicles manufactured before 2005. The office will also require a certified weight of the vehicle.

Out-of-State Registration Permits

If you are going to be in Hawaii for at least 12 months and you do not want to convert your license plates to Hawaii plates, you can request an out-of-state permit. The process for receiving this permit is very similar to the process for transferring your plates to Hawaii plates, so most people prefer to transfer rather than choose an out-of-state permit. You must complete the out-of-state permit application and submit it along with a shipping record of the date the vehicle arrived in Hawaii and proof of ownership.

Required Safety Inspections

The state of Hawaii requires all vehicles to undergo an official safety inspection before they can receive valid license plates. Each vehicle must display two plates, one in the back and one in the front, in order to pass the inspection. You can have an official inspection performed at any certified mechanic in Hawaii. The inspector will look at the condition of your tires, your car's glass, headlights, taillights, and turn indicators. Your car's emissions will also be tested. You must pass inspection to receive a Hawaii license plate or an out-of-state permit, regardless of the amount of time you plan to drive in Hawaii.

Proof of Adequate Insurance

All vehicle owners must present proof of car insurance before they can register their vehicles. This proof can be in the form of a fax from your insurance carrier, an insurance card, or any other document signed by your insurance agent. You will have to surrender your proof of insurance to the clerk, so make sure you have two copies. The extra insurance verification copy must be with the vehicle at all times, regardless of who is driving. Hawaii charges stiff fines for the failure to comply with the insurance requirements.

Identification Requirements for Driver's License

When you need to transfer your driver's license, the Hawaii Vehicle Registration and Licensing Division will require that you give them the appropriate documents to prove your Hawaiian and United States residency. Your out-of-state license is acceptable as one form of identification as long as it has not been expired for over 12 months. Other identification that the office accepts includes a social security card or naturalization papers. You can prove your Hawaiian residency by presenting a utility bill, mortgage paperwork, check stub, or any other official document that includes your legal name and your Hawaiian address. If your name has changed for any reason, you will need to provide legal proof of the name change.

Special Regulations for 18 and Under

Drivers who are between the age of 16 and 18 must adhere to special regulations. A minor must present a valid birth certificate and a social security card. The legal guardian of the minor is required to sign paperwork stating that the minor is carrying car insurance and has permission to drive. Hawaiian licenses are on a graduated scale for minors. The first phase is the instructional permit, which allows the driver to operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 5:00 am to 11:00 pm with any licensed driver who is 21 or over.

After 11:00 pm, the additional driver must be the minor's parent or legal guardian. A provisional license is awarded to minors who are between the ages of 16 and 18 who have held instructional licenses for a minimum of 180 days. Provisional license holders may only drive with one other minor in the car when an adult is not present. After the driver has held the provisional license for 6 months without incident, the license will be graduated to full license status with no additional regulations.

Driver's License Tests

Out of state drivers who want to transfer their licenses in Hawaii must pass a routine eye exam. They must also pass a written exam administered by a Department of Motor Vehicles clerk. The exam consists of 30 questions related to traffic regulations in the state of Hawaii. Drivers cannot use any outside resources during the test, including cell phones. You can pick up a driver's manual at either of the offices free so that you can study before you begin the test. Drivers must also have a clean driving record from their previous state in order to qualify for a Hawaii license.

Car Insurance in Hawaii

Honolulu Car Insurance
Hilo Car Insurance
Kahului Car Insurance
Kihei Car Insurance
Kailua Insurance
Kaneohe Car Insurance
Mililani Car Insurance
Pearl City Car Insurance
Waimalu Car Insurance
Waipahu Car Insurance