Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Delaware Car Insurance Quotes

Serene Pond in Delaware
The second smallest state in America, Delaware is home to the most intense concentration of civilian scientists and engineers in the country. DuPont, one of the leading chemical companies in the world, has its headquarters located in Delaware.

Anyone planning to relocate to Delaware needs to understand the legal car insurance requirements within the state and compare quotes from at least three different insurance companies to have confidence in getting a reasonable price for your coverage. Of course, it's also smart for current Delaware residents to know the insurance laws in their state. Below are the minimums required for car insurance.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage in Delaware

- Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $15,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Insurance Minimums

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

- Injured Person Compensation

  • $15,000 per person injured in any one accident and $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident
  • Up to $5,000 per person for funeral expenses and lost earnings

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) / Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident, not to exceed $300,000
  • UM and UIM must be at least as much as the state requirements for bodily injury, but cannot be more than the amount of bodily injury insurance purchased.

Special Motorcycle Exception

If a motorcycle is in a collision that does not involve any other vehicles and does not occur on a highway, the motorcycle owner can reject coverage for personal injuries and lost earnings for anyone who is riding the motorcycle.

How much will you pay for insurance in Delaware? Enter your zip code below to find out.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

When you move to Delaware from another state, you must transfer your driver's license and vehicle registration within the first 60 days of residence to avoid additional fees. Drivers who are active members of the military do not have to transfer their driver's licenses until they have been retired from service for 60 days or more. The vehicle title transfer process involves insuring your vehicle and having it inspected prior to visiting the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles, which means that you should begin working toward your transfer at least two weeks before your 60 day grace period ends to make sure that you have time to complete all of the necessary preparations.

License Transfers Must be done in Person

Delaware requires all out of state license holders to have their driver's licenses transferred in person at one of the designated Division of Motor Vehicles offices in New Castle, Georgetown, Dover or Wilmington. You must surrender your old license before they will give you a new one. While you are having your license transferred, you can also register to vote in your new district or sign up as an organ donor.

Delaware Driving Test Requirements

Drivers who hold valid licenses from other states will only be required to take an eye exam in order to receive their Delaware licenses. If you do not have a valid license, you will need to take a written exam as well as a road test to prove that you understand the traffic laws of Delaware. Each state has similar laws, but there may be some differences in Delaware. It is a good idea to read a copy of the Delaware driving handbook before you begin driving in the state so that you do not inadvertently break any laws.

Required Proof of Identity for Delaware Licenses

There are several types of documents required for a successful driver's license transfer. You will need to present a document that proves your identity and that you are a legal resident of the United States, such as a birth certificate or driver's license from another state. You will also need to present your social security card or a legal substitute. Delaware requires two documents of proof that you are a Delaware resident. These documents can include utility bills with your Delaware address, postmarked mail, or proof of employment. If you have had a name change, you will need to present documentation such as a marriage license or divorce decree showing your new name.

Younger Drivers

Delaware has a graduated driver's license system for drivers who are younger than 18. Anyone who is less than 18 years old and needs to transfer a driver's license from out of state must show proof that they have taken and passed a driver's education class. If you have held your out of state license for one year and are 17 years old, you will be exempt from the graduated license requirements and be issued a license without any restrictions attached.

Costs of Transferring Licenses and Titles

Delaware driver's licenses do not expire until 5 years after your last birthday. The fee for a license transfer or renewal is $25. Vehicle transfers cost a minimum of $8.00. The rate will be determined based on 3.75% of the vehicle's current market value. If the owners of the vehicle can prove they paid the proper taxes on the vehicle in their previous state within 90 days of registration in Delaware. There is a standard $25 fee for title transfers on vehicles that do not have liens, and $35 for vehicles that are under liens. Registration fees vary depending on the length of time you choose to register the car. A 6-month registration costs $21. Registration for one year costs $40. Two-year registrations cost $80. A special five-year registration option is available for $200.

Purchase Insurance Prior to Title Transfer

The first step in transferring your registration is to purchase auto insurance from a company that is licensed to insure vehicles in Delaware. The minimum insurance requirements include liability coverage for one or more passengers in your vehicle as well as liability coverage for any damage you may cause to any other vehicles or people. You must present a valid proof of registration before you will be allowed to register your vehicle in Delaware. The Division of Motor Vehicles will not accept any photocopies or computer printouts as proof of insurance. Faxes are acceptable if they are faxed directly from your insurance company to the office where you are applying for a registration transfer.

Vehicle Inspection Requirements

Before a vehicle can be properly registered in Delaware, it must pass specific equipment inspection tests. The inspection will be conducted at the Division of Motor Vehicle office. The vehicle must have working lights and signals. The tires have to be sound, with no bulges or balding tread. There can be no tinting on the windshield or the front windows. The vehicle must have working seat belts and windshield wipers, and all of the latches must hold the doors, hood, and trunk firmly in place. There is also an inspection of the exhaust system to make sure that there are no leaks and that the emissions meet specific Delaware standards. If there are any cracks larger than 5 inches, the car will fail the inspection. You can have your vehicle inspected at a local service station prior to taking it to the Division of Motor Vehicles if you are concerned about passing the inspection.

Title Transfer Application Process

Once you have your proof of insurance, proof of residency, and a completed inspection, the only thing left is to complete the actual title and registration-transfer application paperwork. Everyone who is listed as an owner on the title of the vehicle must sign the application before it will be accepted. After all of the paperwork is completed and accepted, the car owner will be given a new title and a new license plate for the vehicle.

Car Insurance in Delaware

Dover Car Insurance
Elsmere Car Insurance
Georgetown Car Insurance
Middletown Car Insurance
Milford Car Insurance
Newark Insurance
New Castle Car Insurance
Seaford Car Insurance
Smyrna Car Insurance
Wilmington Car Insurance