Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Connecticut Car Insurance Quotes

Winding Trail in Connecticut
Connecticut is part of the tri-state area surrounding New York City. Three of the state's counties are part of the New York City metropolitan area. The state is known for its historical role in helping form the new government of the United States after the Revolution, and for financial powerhouses in areas like Hartford.

If you are planning to move to Connecticut, you need to find out about the car insurance rates before you start to relocate. Just that you are new to the area is no reason to pay more than you should for insurance rates. You can familiarize yourself with the Connecticut car insurance companies through online rate comparisons so that you are prepared when it is time to buy a policy.

Current Connecticut residents can also benefit from comparing insurance companies. Simple life changes like moving into a new house or finding a new job can make a big difference in your rates from year to year. Checking your rate offers from several different companies from time to time will help you make sure you are always paying the right amount for your coverage.

To find out how much you would pay for car insurance in Connecticut, enter your zip code in the form on this page.

Required Car Insurance Coverage Limits in Connecticut

- Required Minimum Bodily Injury Coverage

  • $20,000 per person injured in an accident
  • $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident

- Required Minimum Property Damage Coverage

  • $10,000 for injury or destruction of property in an accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage

  • If purchased, optional insurance must cover at least the required bodily injury coverage amount. Insurance companies are legally required to offer UM and UIM policies with coverage that doubles the amount of bodily injury liability that has been purchased.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

Transferring Vehicle Registration and Driver's License in Connecticut

New Connecticut residents must transfer their vehicle registration and driver's licenses in their first 60 days of residency. Active duty military personnel and full-time students do not need to transfer their licenses or registration if they are registered and licensed legally in their home state.

Out-of-State License Transfer Offices

Only four DMV offices let you transfer an out-of-state license in Connecticut. These offices are located in Wethersfield, Waterbury, Willimantic, and Bridgeport. If your new home is not in one of these cities, you will need to schedule a time to make the trip so that you can transfer your license within the 60-day grace period. Since Connecticut is a small state, it should not be difficult to travel to one of these specific offices comfortably. It is a good idea to phone ahead so that you can schedule your visit for a time that is usually not very busy.

Necessary Identification for Driver's License Transfer

You have to present your personal identification as well as proof of your Connecticut address before you will be issued a new license. Your valid out-of-state license, a certified birth certificate, or other legal document that has your full name will be sufficient for your personal identification. If you are not a US citizen, you must present documentation that proves you are in the country legally. You can provide proof of your home address in the form of a salary check stub, mortgage paperwork, a utility bill delivered to your address, or other official mail that contains your name and your address.

Driver Testing

If you can present an out-of-state driver's license that has not expired, you will probably only be asked to take a standard eye exam before you can receive a Connecticut license. If your previous license is expired or you have lost it, you will be considered a new driver and have to take a written and physical driving test as part of your license application. The DMV can ask anyone to take a written or physical driving test if it is deemed necessary.

Special Rules for 16 and 17 Year Olds

Drivers who are 16 and 17 years old who have a license from another state must undergo a series of driving classes. They will also be required to complete the Connecticut written driving test and the standard physical driving test. The DMV recommends that anyone 16 or 17 years old who would like to receive a Connecticut driver's license study the traffic laws handbook that is available from any DMV office prior to taking the written test. Your out-of-state driver's license cannot be traded outright for a Connecticut license without the proper testing.

Transferring a License from another Country

If you are visiting Connecticut from a foreign country, you can drive for one year with a valid license from your home country. After a year, you must transfer your license to a Connecticut license. The process of transferring your out of country license to Connecticut is similar to the process of transferring an out-of-state license. Foreign residents are also required to present an abstract of their driving record from their home country as part of the application process, however. Puerto Rican driver's licenses must be verified through the DMV before they can be transferred to Connecticut driver's licenses.

Required Emissions Test for Registration Transfer

You must have your vehicle tested at an official emissions testing facility before you can apply for a Connecticut registration. The VIN number will also be verified during the emissions test. Bring your title and driver's license when you bring your car in to be tested. If you drive a car that is exempt from emissions testing, you will still need to have the VIN number verified through a full service DMV branch office or a VIN verification emissions station. Most cars less than four years old or more than twenty-five years old are exempt from emissions testing.

Necessary Vehicle Documentation

When your vehicle has passed the emissions test, take it to a full service DMV branch office for the transfer of the title and registration. You will need to present your out-of-state title and registration paperwork. You must complete the application for registration and certificate of title paperwork while you are visiting the office. The office will need a copy of your valid Connecticut insurance policy as well as your personal identification. Identification can be a valid photo id, social security number, certified birth certificate, or current driver's license. The same identification that you used for your driver's license transfer will be acceptable for your registration transfer.

Transferring a Vehicle with a Lien

Vehicles with titles held by a financial institution or a lien-holder can be registered without the title as long as the owner can present the out-of-state registration paperwork. Cars previously registered in New York or Maryland must have a photocopy of the title along with the registration paperwork in order to transfer their registration in Connecticut. A photocopy of the title will be allowed as documentation if the registration for the vehicle has expired.

Importing a Vehicle from another Country

Any vehicle manufactured outside the United States must pass federal testing as well as the standard Connecticut registration transfer tests. You must be able to present documentation from the federal Department of Transportation, Environmental Protection Agency, and the appropriate US Customs form before you can apply for a registration. You must also present your emissions paperwork and proof of Connecticut car insurance. If your vehicle does not meet the state and federal guidelines, you can have it altered at an official conversion shop. These shops are equipped with the tools and knowledge to convert foreign vehicles so that they meet the United States safety and emissions standards.

Having car insurance is necessary in Connecticut. It can save you from the costly repairs of your car if you got involved in an accident. In addition, if something in your car was stolen or the car itself was taken, the insurance company will cover for your loss. There is a number of car insurance provider out there, you just have to choose the one that is not too expensive but can cover the things that you may need.

In finding low cost car insurance, you can go online and search for it. Internet has now made finding cheap Connecticut car insurance quotes easier. There are websites that display a listing of insurance quotes of different states. From their list, you may view all the insurance quotes and the provider's insurance plans. The website may even guide you on how to avail the insurance. You just have to fill out some forms and the insurance provider will handle the rest.

Filling out the forms will only take about a few minutes of your time. Before you know it, you already finished buying your car insurance without lifting your feet. The good thing about these websites is they regularly update their Connecticut car insurance quotes to give you a real time assessment of the available price of insurance for cars. They commonly have newsletters that will automatically send an update to their clients about a new insurance policy or the changes in the pricing of the insurance. The changes in the current prices of car insurance will be sent through e-mail.

This will ensure that you will not miss anything even if you are not regularly online. To receive regular updates from the site you should be a member of the website. This will require you filling out their membership form and after that, you will regularly receive news about the car insurance market. With this easy way of finding affordable Connecticut car insurance quotes, there is no more excuse on why your car still does not have insurance policy.

Car Insurance in Connecticut

Bridgeport Car Insurance
Danbury Insurance
Greenwich Car Insurance
Hartford Car Insurance
New Britain Car Insurance
New Haven Car Insurance
Stamford Car Insurance
Waterbury Car Insurance
West Harford Car Insurance