Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Arkansas Car Insurance Quotes

Scenic Valley in Arkansas
Although Arkansas has a rich history as a frontier state, it is probably best known for its role in the struggle for civil rights during the middle of the 20th century. If you plan to relocate to Arkansas, it can help to learn more about the required car insurance coverage.

Make sure you check at least three different insurance quotes to find the most affordable option. Existing insurance customers can benefit from browsing different insurance options at least once a year since there are so many factors involved in the cost of insurance.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage in Arkansas

- Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $25,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $50,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Insurance Minimums

  • $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

- Medical First-Party Coverage and Accidental Death Minimums

  • Drivers must purchase up to $5,000 in coverage for medical, hospital, and funeral expenses per person during the 24-month period after an accident. Coverage should also provide up to 70 % if income lost between 8 days and 52 weeks following the accident. Drivers must also carry $5,000 in accidental death coverage.

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Automobile and Motor Vehicle Optional Coverage Offers

  • In Arkansas, the term "automobile" applies to cars, while the term "motor vehicle" applies to motorcycles. By law, insurance agencies are required to offer specific optional coverage to owners of automobiles. The insurance companies are not required to offer optional coverage to motorcycle owners.

- Uninsured Motorist (UM) / Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • Arkansas motorists must purchase UM and UIM together. The policies must be covered for at least the minimum amounts that are required by law for bodily injury coverage.

Would you like to know how much your car insurance would cost in Arkansas? Fill in your zip code below to find out.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

If you're planning a move to Arkansas, you'll need to understand the process involved in transferring your driver's license and vehicle registration. Waiting too long to take care of these important tasks can lead to fines and unnecessary penalties. Try to take care of the transfers as soon as possible once you move into the state permanently. Licensing and registration is handled through the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration.

Grace Period for Transferring Your License

There is a short grace period for new residents who need to transfer their licenses and registrations to Arkansas. Drivers can legally wait up to 30 days to complete the transfer process. After the first 30 days have expired, however, there will be fees assessed when you finally get around to transferring your license and registration.

Having out of state tags or an out of state driver's license beyond the 30-day limit can also lead to expensive traffic citations. The transfer process is not difficult, so be sure you make it an item on your to-do list for the first few weeks after your move.

Where to go for a License Transfer

Anyone needing a new driver's license can obtain one through a local Arkansas Revenue Office. If you have a valid driver's license from another state, you must surrender your old license and will be allowed to get a new license without having to take any sort of driving tests.

Driver's licenses that are more than 31 days past their expiration date will not be accepted for transfer and the driver will need to take a written driving exam in order to be given an Arkansas driver's license. If your license has been expired for more than a year, you will have to take a road test as well as the written test.

Proof of Legal Residency

When you go to transfer your driver's license, you need to have some documentation that proves your residency. The Revenue Office will want to see proof that you are a legal United States resident. The office will accept a birth certificate, social security card, military ID card, or a document from Immigration and Naturalization Services. A second form of identification is needed as well and could include a driver's license from another state or a photo ID from work or school.

Young Driver Restrictions

Drivers who are older than 18 but younger than 21 have special restrictions on their driver's licenses. The border around a younger driver's photo will be red to indicate that the driver is not yet 21. Drivers who are under 21 years old are allowed to use hands free wireless devices in the car, but they cannot use any device that is hand held. Use of wireless and hand held devices is not allowed while the car is being driven.

No Grades, No License

Arkansas has an unusual law designed to keep teens in school. If they want the privilege to drive, they must earn it through good grades. Drivers who are between the ages of 16 and 18 must present proof that they are currently enrolled in a high school program or have received their GED before they will be issued a driver's license. The Revenue Office will require that a driver under the age of 18 present proof that he or she has a C grade average in school before he or she is allowed to take the written driving test. Drivers will receive intermediate driver's licenses until they turn 21, when they will be given standard driver's licenses.

Paperwork Needed for Registration

If you own a motor vehicle, you must register it in Arkansas within your first 30 days of residence. You can get your registration at the same Revenue Office where you transfer your driver's license. You will need to show you own the vehicle and do not owe any outstanding taxes on it from your previous state of residence.

Before you can register your car, you must have its value assessed through your local county assessor's office. The assessor will give you verification paperwork that you can present to the Revenue Office as part of the registration process. You must also provide the Revenue Office with proof that the vehicle carries the proper amount of legal insurance.

Required Insurance Coverage

Arkansas requires that all registered vehicles carry a minimum amount of liability car insurance to be legal. Drivers can carry as much insurance as they like, but must present proof that the car carries at least minimum liability insurance limits.

One of the best ways to find affordable insurance is to look at online quotes from several different insurance companies and compare their features and prices for your area. Arkansas requires that drivers carry a minimum of $25,000 property damage liability coverage, $25,000 to cover death or injury to one person, and $50,000 to cover death or injury to two or more people.

License and Registration Transfer Fees

Transferring your driver's license from out of state will cost $20 for anyone who surrenders an out of state license that has not been expired for more than one year. The new license will be valid four years. The fees for transferring your vehicle registration depend on the make and model of your car. Registration fees are determined depending on the vehicle's weight.

Vehicles that weigh less than 3,000 pounds will cost $17 to register. Vehicles between 3,000 and 4,500 pounds will be charged $25. Vehicles that weigh more than 4,500 pounds will be charged $30 for registration. The only exception to the weight standard for determining registration costs involves pickup trucks. Half ton, three-quarter ton, and one ton trucks that are used for personal purposes will be charged a flat rate of $21 for registration no matter how much they weigh.

If you are planning to move to Arkansas and need to find affordable insurance for your vehicle before you transfer it, you can begin the process by typing your zip code into the form at the top of this page. For the best results, compare insurance quotes from three or more companies.

Car Insurance in Arkansas

Conway Insurance
Fayateville AR Car Insurance
Fort Smith Car Insurance
Hot Springs Car Insurance
Jonesboro Car Insurance
Little Rock Car Insurance
North Little Rock Car Insurance
Pine Bluff Car Insurance
Rogers Car Insurance
Springfield, AR Car Insurance