Car Insurance Companies
Facebook Fan Page
Twitter Account
Car Insurance Blog

Arizona Car Insurance Quotes

Arizona Highway
Arizona is probably best known for the Grand Canyon, one of America's most breathtaking natural wonders. The state's scenery ranges from perpetually cool pine forests in the upper elevations to dry, hot deserts in the lowlands.

Like most states, Arizona has legal car insurance minimums. It's important to know this when shopping for car insurance. You might be new to the state, or perhaps you've just had some changes in your life that led you to search for Arizona car insurance. Either way, the minimum coverage is where you start. From there, you should choose other coverage to suit your needs like collision and comprehensive. Consider higher than minimum liability and uninsured motorists limits to protect yourself from the worst-case scenario.

Even if your life circumstances haven't changed, you might do well to check insurance rates from several insurance companies. That's because rates change based on the accidents that happened the year before. They are always changing and you can only know if you are getting the best rate by checking those rates frequently. We recommend every six months to a year.

Mandatory Insurance Coverage in Arizona

- Bodily Injury Insurance Minimums

  • $15,000 per person injured in any one accident
  • $30,000 for all persons injured in any one accident

- Property Damage Insurance Minimums

  • $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident

Optional Insurance Coverage

- Uninsured Motorist (UM)/Underinsured Motorist (UIM)

  • UM insurance must be at least as much as the amount of bodily injury coverage that is required by the state. UM can be bought for any amount at or below the limits of the bodily injury liability policy. UIM coverage can be purchased in amounts that are less than the state requirement for bodily injury coverage.

To find out how much your car insurance would cost in Arizona, enter your zip code into the box.

Enter Your Zip Code To Compare Rates:

Zip Code:

New Arizona are required to get an Arizona driver license and to register their cars in the state when they become residents. A resident is defined as anyone who:

- Works in Arizona (other than for seasonal or agricultural work)
- Registers to vote in the state
- Places children in school without paying out of state tuition
- Has a business with an office in Arizona and operations based in the state
- Obtains a state license or pays school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident
- Remains in Arizona for a cumulative 7 months or more during any calendar year

Exceptions include out-of-state students enrolled with 7 or more semester hours and active duty military personnel based in Arizona.

Getting Your Arizona License

Arizona driver license applicants must present their social security numbers along with two forms of identification and one of them must display your photo. If you do not have a photo ID, three forms of original identification documents are acceptable. A list of acceptable documents can be found at

You will be applying for a Class D Operator License, which lets you drive any vehicle that does not require a special license, such as a motorcycle or commercial vehicle. You must be at least 18 to apply. Applicants may be asked to take a simple vision test. In most cases, written and road tests are not required for those who already have a valid driver license in another state.

Title and Registration

Different Motor Vehicle Department offices have different hours of operation. Check to be sure the office will be open before going. Those new to Arizona must register their out of state cars in Arizona immediately upon falling under the legal definition of resident. Unlike many states, the plate follows the vehicle owner, not the car itself - for futher details, visit the official AZ DMV website.

Most cars can be registered for two years for convenience. Some vehicles require emissions testing annually, so they must be re-registered every year. Arizonians pay lower property taxes than most states. They make up the difference in revenue through vehicle taxes. Expect to pay a Vehicle License Tax (VLT) in addition to title and registration fees.

To title and register your car, you will need the following:

- A completed and signed title application
- An emissions compliance form if you are in the Phoenix or Tucson area
- A level I vehicle inspection
- Your out-of-state title or registration, if the title is held by a lienholder
- Your out-of-state plates
- Lien clearance, when applicable
- Original, certified copy of the Power of Attorney from the lessor on leased vehicles
- Payment for title and registration fees

There are some general requirements for securing an Arizona title, registration and license plate for a your out-of-state car, but there may be special requirements. It is best to call ahead to your local Arizon MVD before going to the office.

Physical Inspection of the Vehicle

If you have proof of ownership like the original title or registration for your car, a physical inspection is not required. The MVD or an authorized Third Party office must verify the make, vehicle identification number (VIN), body style and other general information about your car before you can register it. Any obvious safety or mechanical flaws can cause your registration to be denied until you repair them.

The Arizona MVD states, Unless specifically exempted, all 1967 and newer vehicles (including diesels) that are registered in the metro Phoenix (Area A) or Tucson (Area B) emission test areas must receive an emissions inspection no more than 90 days prior to registration. The easiest way to know if you need your car tested is by looking at your registration renewal application from the Motor Vehicles Division. It will say Emission Test Required when you need to get a vehicle tested. You can also find out if you are exempt by going to

Arizona is a mandatory insurance state. All vehicles driven on state roadways must be covered, even golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds. Arizona requires a minimum of $15,000 bodily injury liability per person and $30,000 per accident. Vehicles must also carry $10,000 property damage liability coverage. The financial responsibility laws are enforced by traffic officers whenever they stop a vehicle. In addition, insurance companies must notify the MVD any time a policy is cancelled, non-renewed or put in force for the first time. Failure to insurance your car can lead to the suspension of your registration and drivers license.

The MVD will ask you to surrender your out-of-state plates, title and registration when you apply for one in Arizona. When a car has a loan, you still need to register the car, but may not need to present the title. Liens will be recorded on the new Arizona title unless you can prove the lien has been paid.

Original signatures are required on applications for Arizona title, unless you can provide an original, notarized power of attorney for one or more of the owners.

Ninety Day Registration

If you need time to get more documents together to complete your Arizona registration, you can apply for a 90-day registration at a cost of $15. When you go to complete the registration it will become effective from the date of the original 90-day registration.

Fees can vary by vehicle. The fees you might have to pay include:

- $4.00 title fee
- $8.00 registration fee
- $1.50 air quality research fee
- Vehicle license tax (VLT) is based based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price, then reduced by 16.25% for every year since the car was first registered in Arizona. You will be charged at a rate of $2.80 per $100. New cars are charged $2.90 per $100 of assessed value. These rates are subject to change.

Car Insurance in Arizona

Chandler Car Insurance
Gilbert Car Insurance
Glendale Car Insurance
Mesa Car Insurance
Phoenix Car Insurance
Peoria Car Insurance
Scottsdale Car Insurance
Tempe Car Insurance
Tucson Car Insurance
Yuma Car Insurance